The Perioral Dermatitis mainly affects children and women of childbearing age. The rash usually starts in folds of skin along the sides of the nose (nasolabial folds) and spreads around the mouth (perioral region). The rash spreads around the eyes and forehead.
Many people tell me that I am lucky to have excellent skin without scars, blemishes, acne and large pores.
I always answer that the only luck is genetics, because mom and grandmother have beautiful skin. The rest has nothing to do with luck or charm. Many people think that a good dermatologist and expensive creams will solve everything.
Also read: What are the Symptoms of a Stroke – Definition, Types, and More
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
These personal hygiene habits can help you cope with dermatitis and feel better:
- Moisten your skin. Regular application of a high-fat moisturizer can help your skin.
- Use over-the-counter anti-inflammatories and antipruritics. An over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream can temporarily reduce redness and itching. Oral antihistamines such as diphenhydramine can help relieve itching.
- Apply with a cool damp cloth. Smoothen the skin.
- Take a comfortable warm bath. Sprinkling your bath water with baking soda or colloidal oatmeal, great oatmeal made for baths. Let the skin absorb for 5-10 minutes, pat it dry and apply a fragrance-free moisturizer while the skin is still damp. Lotion with 12% ammonium lactate or 10% alpha hydroxy acid helps with dry, flaky skin.
- Use medicated shampoos. For dandruff, use an over-the-counter shampoo that contains selenium sulfide, zinc pyrithione, coal tar, or ketoconazole.
- Take a diluted bleach bath. It can help people with severe atopic dermatitis by reducing the number of bacteria on the skin. For a thinned bleach bath, add 1/2 cup (about 118 ml) unfocused household bleach to a 40 gallon (about 151 liters) tub filled with hot water. Dimensions are based on a standard US size tub filled to the level of the drain holes. Soak skin for 5-10 minutes and wash off before drying. Do this two to three times a week.
Many people have found success using a diluted vinegar bath instead of a bleach bath. Add 1 cup (about 236 ml) vinegar to a hot water bath.
Avoid rubbing and scratching:
If you can’t help scratching yourself, apply a bandage. Cut your nails and wear gloves at evening.
Wear Cotton Clothing:
Cotton clothing with a soft texture will help prevent irritation of the affected area. Avoid using wool, as it can cause itching after removing wool clothing that directly touches the skin.
Choose a Mild Laundry Detergent:
Because clothes, sheets, and towels touch your skin, choose a mild, unscented detergent.
Avoid known Irritants or Allergens:
Especially with contact dermatitis, try to minimize contact with the rash-causing substance.
Deal with Stress:
Expressive stressors can cause some types of dermatitis. Try stress management techniques such as relaxation or biofeedback.
Many alternative therapies, including those listed below, have helped some people cope with dermatitis. However, the evidence for its effectiveness is inconclusive.
- Nutritional supplements such as vitamin D and probiotics for atopic dermatitis.
- A decoction of rice bran (applied to the skin) for atopic dermatitis
- Anti-dandruff shampoo with 5% tea tree oil
- Aloe for seborrheic dermatitis
- And also, Chinese herbal therapy
If you consider taking nutritional supplements or other alternative treatments, talk to your doctor about the benefits and drawbacks of these treatments.
What is the Treatment of Perioral Dermatitis?
Treatment for Perioral Dermatitis depends on the cause and symptoms. In addition to the home remedies and lifestyle recommendations below, dermatitis treatment includes one or more of the following:
- Apply corticosteroid creams, gels, or ointments to the affected skin.
- Apply creams or ointments that act on the immune system (calcineurin inhibitors) to the affected skin.
- Exposing the pretentious area to a controlled amount of natural or artificial light (phototherapy)
- Use oral corticosteroids or injectable dupilumab for serious medical conditions.
Also read: How to Treat Clogged Pores on the Face – Solutions
Helpful Resource: The Marketing Info
Check out: Soaps Write For Us, Guest Post, And Contribute, Advertise with us, Submit Post