Gastric bypass surgery can be a life-changing procedure for those struggling with obesity. However, the excessive costs of bariatric surgery in the UK can make it inaccessible to many people. Fortunately, there is an alternative option available in Latvia that may be more affordable for those seeking this type of treatment.
In this article, we explore the benefits of opting for gastric bypass surgery in Latvia instead of the UK. From cost savings to access to experienced surgeons and state-of-the-art facilities, we cover the essentials you need to know about this option.
Table of Contents
The essence of gastric bypass surgery
Gastric bypass surgery is a procedure that helps people lose weight by making changes to their digestive system. It involves two main steps:
- The surgeon divides the stomach, creating a small pouch at the top. By making the stomach smaller, the surgery restricts the amount of food a person can eat, leading to a feeling of fullness with less food.
- The surgeon then connects the small stomach pouch to a lower section of the small intestine, bypassing a portion of the stomach and the upper part of the intestine. As a result, the body absorbs fewer calories and nutrients from the food consumed.
Gastric bypass surgery via NHS
If you’re considering gastric bypass surgery and are a resident of the UK, you may be eligible to have the procedure done through the National Health Service (NHS).The NHS offers gastric bypass surgery for individuals who meet certain criteria, such as having a body mass index (BMI) over 40 or a BMI over 35 with related health conditions.
It is important to note that there is a long waiting list for this type of surgery, due to shortage of finances and substantial number of applicants.
Gastric bypass surgery in the UK, private sphere
Private clinics also offer this type of surgery, but costs can vary widely depending on the provider. With proper planning and guidance from a qualified professional, gastric bypass surgery can be an effective tool for achieving significant weight loss and improving overall health.
The cost of gastric bypass surgery in the UK can vary and falls between £8,000 to £15,000
The cost of mini gastric bypass cost in the UK remains the same as above, since the amount of time and care equals to that of the „usual“ gastric bypass.
Gastric bypass surgery in Latvia
However, if your health restricts you from the long wait and your wallet from private options in the UK, we recommend looking into the option of having gastric bypass in Latvia.
Here are some key points:
- Cost: The cost of the procedure, including surgeon fees, hospital charges, and related expenses, are considerably lower in Latvia than in the UK.
- Shorter Waiting Times: Waiting times for gastric bypass surgery in the UK can often be lengthy due to the high demand and limited resources. Opting for the surgery in Latvia provides shorter waiting times, allowing you to undergo the procedure more quickly and start your weight loss journey sooner.
- Accessibility: Latvia’s geographic proximity to many European countries makes it easily accessible for individuals from various parts of Europe.
- Comparable Quality of Care: While the UK is renowned for its high-quality healthcare system, private healthcare providers in Latvia uphold just as excellent standards of care. Many healthcare professionals in Latvia are trained internationally and have tons of experience in performing gastric bypass surgeries.
- Language Support: English-speaking healthcare professionals are often available in private medical facilities in Latvia that cater to international patients. This can help facilitate communication and ensure that you understand the process, receive appropriate care, and have any concerns addressed effectively. For example, in Weight Loss Riga clinic, the patient coordinator is a native English speaker and a former patient.
Lastly, we cannot stress enough that gastric bypass surgery is not a quick fix or a cosmetic procedure. It requires commitment to long-term dietary changes, regular physical activity, and follow-up care to ensure successful weight loss and maintain overall health. It also carries risks and potential complications, so it is crucial to consult with a qualified healthcare professional to understand the benefits, risks, and suitability of the surgery for your specific situation, especially when opting for gastric bypass abroad.